[dmarc-discuss] DMARC RUF

Steven M Jones smj+dmarcdiscuss at crash.com
Tue May 14 00:26:54 PDT 2019

On 05/11/2019 08:34, John Levine via dmarc-discuss wrote:
> In article <CAFVnjdXH=FE4S+6JpLLZ14yNo2VB1UQSuhFLD9pT0f3DHNg4YA at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>> Can someone tell me why the mail providers have stopped sending forensic
>> emails?
> They haven't stopped because they never started.

I received failure/forensic reports ("ruf=") from NetEase and Hotmail
for several years, for at least one small domain I operate, and I appear
to have received such reports from NetEase as recently as 3Q2018. None
from Hotmail since late 2017 though, and that was expected when
Microsoft merged that service into other infrastructure.

Was that a special exception, and I'm the only one who ever got those?
That was not my understanding of the situation at the time...

> Forensic messages have big privacy problems because they send a
> message, or at least part of it, to someone who may or may not have
> any connection to the actual sender.

Yes, this is the reason usually given - and that was before GDPR went
into effect.

> No large mail system has ever sent them.

Just to quibble: NetEase was and is large, and Hotmail was pretty large
before it was merged into other Microsoft infrastructure.

--S.