[dmarc-discuss] What constitutes a DMARC success or fail for a record in a rua report?

Michael Eriksson michael.eriksson at sophos.com
Wed Aug 2 02:46:24 PDT 2017

Hi all,

This might be a very basic question but I need to start from somewhere... ;)

When I receive my rua reports and parse them, what constitutes a DMARC success or fail? Is one with policy_evaluated/dkim = pass and policy_evaluated/spf =  pass successful and any other combination seen as a fail? Or is there more variables to be added and/or evaluated to mark each returned record as either a fail or pass?

Basically I'm trying to build a dashboard where we can see percentages of failure per IP in preparation for moving away from p=none.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a bit wooly.

Cheers, Mike