[dmarc-discuss] A bit quiet?

Shal Farley shals2nd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:00:44 PDT 2015

J.Gomez,

> Is this ARC thing a mechanism to know when it is safe to ignore
> the sender's DMARC policy of "p=reject"?

It helps in judging that, but isn't complete by itself (you still need a reputation system for the intermediaries).

> And if it is such, shouldn't it be part of the DMARC standard?

I think it is separate because DMARC is directed to solving a problem for email originators, whereas ARC is directed to mail list operators to help mitigate the consequences of DMARC for them.

Of course both impose mechanisms on email destinations; but the goal is that these additional mechanisms can improve the quality of the classification results (spam versus ham) applied to their user's inboxes.

-- Shal