[dmarc-discuss] On Inbound DMARC Support

Steven M Jones smj at crash.com
Thu Jun 19 19:40:05 PDT 2014

On 06/19/2014 05:23 PM, Steve Atkins via dmarc-discuss wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2014, at 4:56 PM, Steven M Jones via dmarc-discuss <dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org> wrote:
>> However DMARC can help remediate a vector commonly used to initiate an intrusion against corporate networks,
> I suspect you mean mitigate (although remediate does actually fit rather well).

In fact i had switched between the two words - I don't mind switching back.

> You can't make that bald statement without expecting someone to ask for some evidence of it being useful for that purpose, though.

I don't mind being asked. And I thought I had provided appropriate
references in the rest of my previous message...

>  (It's fairly clear to me, for instance, that it's not true - so it's be useful to provide a plausible line of reasoning for it being so; one that'll stand up to discussion).

Again, I thought I'd provided the reasoning.

- Phishing is used to gain unauthorized access to corporate networks
- Unauthorized access to corporate networks is used to effect data breach
- To reduce incidence of data breach, mitigate unauthorized access
- To reduce incidence of unauthorized access, take measures to reduce
successful phishing
- DMARC is effective against one of the most effective forms of phishing

So to me, it follows that adopting DMARC is a reasonable corporate
measure to help combat inbound phishing, which can result in
unauthorized access, which can result in data breach.

I believe I provided examples to show that successful phishing of
corporate entities has been a key step leading to data breach.

--S.