[dmarc-discuss] On Inbound DMARC Support

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Jun 18 08:35:45 PDT 2014

John Levine via dmarc-discuss wrote:

> *Solomon, Dianne B* Dianne.Solomon at firstdata.com wrote:
> <mailto:dmarc-discuss%40dmarc.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bdmarc-discuss%5D%20On%20Inbound%20DMARC%20Support&In-Reply-To=%3CB644DEED2E6A3A49B0CC0BF8BDACDE78575659DC%40W1PVMB002.1DC.com%3E>
>> As a community promoting DMARC, we have an obligation to champion deployment at both ends - inbound as well as
>> outbound.  A first step is to let our vendors know DMARC support is requirement.

First off - it's not clear that everyone here is "promoting DMARC." At
least some of us - particularly those of us who run email lists - are
here because DMARC was foisted upon us, and we're trying to cope and
react.  Please don't attempt to characterize me as in favor of DMARC in
any way, shape, manner, or form.  If anything, at least some of us are
still trying to promote the notion that p=reject is simply wrongheaded,
and shouldn't be implemented by anyone.

>> It is also a matter of respect.  If I want XYZ Corp to respect the
>> controls around my brand, I need to respect the controls around
>> theirs.
> Nothing personal, but like 99.9% of the people in the world, I care
> nothing about your brand.

I'm with John on this one.  I don't give a hoot about your brand.  I
might care that email that purports to come from you actually does come
from you, but that's it.

And... I certainly do not want to be in the position of enforcing YOUR
policy on any of the systems that I own.  I figure the US Postal Service
has the right policy, by law - if a piece of First Class mail arrives at
my door, addressed to someone in my household, I don't get to throw it
out.  I deliver it, what they do with it is up to them.  The legal
exception is if they authorize me to act as their agent.  Either way,
the policy is that of the recipient, not of the sender.  DMARC, at least
p=reject, is simply wrong.

Miles Fidelman