[dmarc-discuss] On Inbound DMARC Support

Solomon, Dianne B Dianne.Solomon at firstdata.com
Wed Jun 18 05:32:56 PDT 2014

I learned this week that two of the major players in enterprise email security  - Proofpoint and IronMail - do not support DMARC.  Said one vendor to me, "I understand your inbound use case for DMARC, we just don't hear it very often."   So adoption is growing - meaning more and more companies are putting the authentication tools in place to protect consumers through ISPs, but in the B2B email space, it is virtually ignored.  Businesses rely on spam filters, and technologies like Proofpoint's TAP, both of limited use against spearphishing and other targeted attack vectors.    It is also a matter of respect.  If I want XYZ Corp to respect the controls around my brand, I need to respect the controls around theirs.

As a community promoting DMARC, we have an obligation to champion deployment at both ends - inbound as well as outbound.  A first step is to let our vendors know DMARC support is requirement.

Dianne Blitstein Solomon, CIPP, CIPP/IT | Director, ISCD.IS.Messaging Security | First Data Corporation | www.firstdata.com<http://www.firstdata.com/>
4000 Coral Ridge Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065 | (O) +1.954.851.7290 | (M) 954.695.8094 | GMT -5
Suspect an information security incident?  Please call 888-427-4468.

The information in this message may be proprietary and/or confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify First Data immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.