[dmarc-discuss] Mailinglists: Sender-Header

Patrick Rauscher listen at prauscher.de
Thu Jun 12 18:05:19 PDT 2014

Hey,

On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 18:51 +0200, Benjamin BILLON via dmarc-discuss
wrote:
> From a very pragmatical point of view, the From header is the one the
> recipient sees first ; the additional "via" or "sent on behalf of" could be
> anything that the recipient might not know or understand, therefore making
> the whole point of DMARC useless.

Yes, but I think this is too pragmatic. And maybe we have to trust in
MUAs to do their job correctly (and better), if we want DMARC/DKIM to
work properly.

> Now, if I recall properly, the Sender header was imagined so secretaries
> could send emails "on behalf of" a director (at least that's the examples
> in the RFC), and what ESPs conveniently did with the Sender header was
> probably not in mind of the RFC authors.

Strictly speaking I'd see a listserver as a secretary of all users. Also
this was only an example in the RFC. RFC 822 tells:
> This field contains the authenticated identity  of  the  AGENT
> (person,  system  or  process)  that sends the message.

So the authors even thought about processes sending mails for users. The
more I think about it, the more I see Sender as the correct header, not
From.

Thank you,
prauscher