[dmarc-discuss] MLM and Header-From rewritting - the SMTPopen-relay analogy

Franck Martin fmartin at linkedin.com
Sat Jun 7 11:15:35 PDT 2014

On Jun 7, 2014, at 7:44 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 6/7/2014 7:31 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
>> But the claim is that these workarounds will mainly happen after you do DMARC p=reject. This data is coming in a not too distant future now.
>

> Keeping in mind that the mailing list scenario has always been
> legitimate use, the concern is that we may be left with a long-term
> barrier to that use, with no attendant long-term benefit.

It has always been clear with p=reject a domain cannot have email addresses subscribed to mailing lists and be able to interact with other list members successfully/adequately. Mailing lists needed to protect themselves, but I consider that as a different problem. Now it seems you can have a p=reject and participate successfully in some mailing lists (like this one).

> The fact that there is short-term benefit is not the issue; it is that
> the benefit might not sustain.

From the beginning the claim has always been to move the bad guys away from the real thing.

I think we have already envisioned the future, we don’t know which one will hold.

And as we say, this is our “Next Play”.