[dmarc-discuss] DMARC thwarted already?

Josh Aberant jaberant at twitter.com
Thu Jun 5 20:45:17 PDT 2014

Perhaps your example would be a successful look alike domain for using in
phishing attacks or perhaps not. The data I have from some ops processes
around helping users recover their accounts lost from phishing may indicate
that there's only a few hundred look alikes of a domain that actually work
on any given target.

It would certainly be an interesting project to aggregate data from other
domains who's users are under attack and get more accuracy rather than just
hypothesis. If it turns out that there are usually only a few hundred or
even a few thousand look-alike permutations of a target domain that work in
phishing attacks then the current DMARC spec already provides a real-way to
mitigate the look alike vector.

Josh