[dmarc-discuss] Upcoming DMARC BoF at IETF 87 in Berlin

J. Trent Adams jtrentadams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 10:36:44 PDT 2013

DMARC Folks -

As the Chair of DMARC.org, I've been honored to help shepherd a
conversation that started a few years ago about helping solve a major
problem with direct-domain spoofing.  Through that time we've reached a
number of truly amazing milestones.  Imagine, in just one year of
deployment we have major mailbox providers such as Gmail, Yahoo,
Outlook.com, Live.com, Hotmail.com, AOL, Comcast, Netease, Xs4All,
Mail.ru protecting about 60% of the world's mailboxes (and ~80% of
typical customers in the US).  Incredible!

Now we're approaching another major milestone: proposing the creation of
DMARC Working Group within the IETF.  To kick off that effort, we're
holding an informal Birds of a Feather (or BoF) meeting at IETF 87 being
held in Berlin next week.  The DMARC BoF in Berlin is open to anyone who
wants to join the conversation, so we hope you'll put it in your
calendar to participate:

Tuesday, July 30, 2013
3:20pm - 4:50pm Berlin Time
(6:20am PDT / 9:20am EDT)

Here's a link to the full agenda where you can find participation
details for the DMARC BoF:

http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/87/

And here's a link to the draft DMARC Work Group charter we'll be discussing:

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/appsawg/trac/wiki/DMARC

The item that's likely to be of the most interest to this group is the
proposed "Using DMARC" document.  Among the topics anticipated to be
included in the document are:

* Identifier alignment configuration options
* Implementation decisions regarding "pct"
* Determining effective RUA sending frequency
* Leveraging policy caching
* Various options for integrating within an existing flow
* When and how to use local policy override options

If you think that this document would be useful, and especially if you'd
like to help contribute to it, join the BoF and share your support.
Even if you think that the work needs to take another tack, we want to
hear from you.  It's through your involvement that the process will
succeed (in whatever form it ends up taking).

Given that many of you on this list are deployers and implementers of
DMARC, you may not be following the technical specification discussion
on the "dmarc at ietf.org" list.  On that list we have been discussing how
to move the DMARC specification through the IETF standardization
process.  It's not always smooth sailing, and the course is still being
discussed, but it's really gratifying to see so many technical experts
actively engaged and helping us make progress.  Lend your voice to that
conversation, too!

In case you don't think that joining the BoF remotely will make a
difference, I can vouch for the fact that the IETF is one of the most
successful organizations at supporting remote participation.  By
listening to the live audio feed and joining the Jabber chat room you
will have just as much impact as if you were physically in the room.

Audio Stream:
http://ietf87streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf874.m3u

Jabber Info:
Room: dmarc
Server: jabber.ietf.org

Live Scribe Logs:
http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9001/p/notes-ietf-87-dmarc?useMonospaceFont=true&showChat=false

Your voice is important.  If you feel that the work proposed in the
DMARC WG Charter is valuable, please consider attending the BoF
remotely.  The work will undoubtedly be better through your participation.

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you in Berlin (even if just
in the Jabber Room)!

Cheers,
Trent

--