[dmarc-discuss] SPF Check issue on Gmail

Anshul Agrawal anshulagrawal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 09:47:58 PDT 2013

Hi,
I have turned on the DMARC in monitor mode and started receiving the
reports from Yahoo, Google, and Hotmail. The third party ESP we use has
proper SPF records in place and uses our DKIM ket to sign the mail.

Google seems to report, for the same IP and 'Return-Path' domain, SPF fail
and pass in the same report. Moreover, one day, all the IPs were reported
to fail the SPF check.

Note that in the below messages, SPF checks fail for far more number of
times than it is regarded as pass. However, all the test mails that I have
sent to Gmail, all of them show SPF pass so far when I check headers and
have never failed.

  <record>
    <row>
      <source_ip>50.31.156.116</source_ip>
      <count>15</count>
      <spf>
        <domain>pm.mtasv.net</domain>
        <result>fail</result>
      </spf>
    </auth_results>
  </record>

And

  <record>
    <row>
      <source_ip>50.31.156.116</source_ip>
      <count>2</count>
      <spf>
        <domain>pm.mtasv.net</domain>
        <result>pass</result>
      </spf>
    </auth_results>
  </record>

IMHO given the same IP and domain, SPF check should not fail for some pass
for other requests (given the DNS records are not updated)

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Anshul