[dmarc-discuss] RUA : Field Reports

MH Michael Hammer (5304) MHammer at ag.com
Wed Jul 10 05:59:54 PDT 2013

Umesh,

The RUA reports show both pass and fails for (aligned) SPF and DKIM for IP addresses that claim to send email for your domain under DMARC (aligned From field).

For the IP Addresses you send mail from, any fails indicate some sort of problem with either your SPF record or with your DKIM signing. That is, your practices don't match your policy.

For IP addresses which you do not send mail from, there are two basic cases. The first would be forwarding or mailing lists where SPF fails and/or DKIM signing breaks. The other case would be (as you indicated) spam or phishing.

What triggers these reports is your publication of a DMARC record designating an email address for the reports to be sent to.

If you have deliverability issues, the only thing these reports can really help you understand is whether your deliverability issues might involve authentication failures. Receivers will still apply local policy (spam filters, high bounce rates or user unknowns, spam traps, etc) in determining how they will deal with your mail streams.

Mike