[dmarc-discuss] DMARC is Helping!

John Coutts couttsj at pobox.com
Mon Jun 25 11:45:15 PDT 2012

This list is currently witnessing the same conflicts and arguments about
the effectiveness of DMARC as when SPF was introduced. But from the
evidence I have seen, it is helping.

Our domain was receiving 9,000 to 15,000 email connection attempts per day.
Now I know that is a drop in the bucket for some, but for a domain that has
not sent or received email for over 15 years, it is ridiculous. I am a firm
believer in rejecting email before DATA, and I have implemented such a
system. DMARC in and of itself does not do that, but spammers are realizing
that the spoofed emails using our domain name are not getting through, and
email from the large email suppliers who support DMARC has dropped off
substantially. Between DMARC and the changes we have implemented, we are
now down to 400-500 connection attempts per day. And as an added benefit,
Yahoo is now checking for TXT records instead of the thousands upon
thousands of type "99" requests.

J.A. Coutts