[dmarc-discuss] On making suggestions for changes

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Jun 25 10:24:27 PDT 2012

On 6/19/2012 11:22 PM, Roland Turner wrote:

> I suspect that this isn't going to fly (a) because it doesn't solve a
> current problem for anybody, (b) because you're trying to solve it in
> the wrong place, (c) because TLS is not widely used for a relevant
> purpose and (d) because you're confusing email submission and email
> exchange.

To emphasize a core point:

    Any interesting mechanism can be modified in myriad ways.  Some of
those are interesting.  Some of the interesting ones are actually
useful. Only some of the useful ones are highly useful.

    Changes to multi-participant services are extremely expensive, so
that pursuit of enhancements needs to be restricted to those changes
that are expected to be highly useful.

    As such, any proposal should provide a basis for believing that the
change will be highly useful AND a basis for making that assertion.

This sort of requirement is what distinguishes an engineering standards
discussion from a more abstract intellectual/academic pursuit.  The
latter are entirely valid, but it's important not to confuse the two.

d/
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking