John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 22 15:56:26 PDT 2012

>Theoretically, but in practical terms we all know how it will work.
>SA will add DMARC checks and +5 the p=rejects, etc., .... and soon
>we'll be back to p=none like we are with SPF ~

This is the same problem we have with SPF -all and ADSP discardable:
receivers can't trust senders to publish a reasonable policy.  Some
do, some don't.  Not much you can do about that and "it serves them
right" has proven not to be a successful customer support strategy.

DMARC's p=reject is unusually dangerous since the rejections can
easily screw up mail unrelated to the publishing domain due to
bouncing recipients off mailing lists.  (Not hypothetical, by the way,
already happened with an over-eager implementation of ADSP.)

R's,
John