Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Fri Jun 22 12:47:14 PDT 2012

Hi,

Firstly thanks to everyone who replied on this;  the discussion seems to
have gone in multiple directions which I'll try to summarise and follow
up on when I can.

On 22/06/12 20:07, Brian Corrigan wrote:
> I get the issues, but tech aside, its frustrating that we can't work
> around this somehow.  Its going to prohibit widespread deployment of
> DMARC.

It could make anything other than p=none a bad idea for many of us, but
still the reporting features (which are brilliant IMHO) are available to
anyone who wants to use them.

My own idea was if there could be a 'more relaxed' mode of DKIM and/or
SPF validation by DMARC, whereby the RFC5321.MailFrom domain can be
considered.  Any mailing list or forwarder that re-signs with DKIM after
altering anything, and/or can validate its MailFrom domain with SPF,
should then be okay.

And this would be the sending domain owner's choice.  Those who want to
be absolutely strict on this can still require alignment as in the
current draft, where the only way it could be valid I think is if an
unaltered message is forwarded with the original DKIM signature.

Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org