[dmarc-discuss] Using XMLLINT to uncover errors with feedback & XSD files

J. Trent Adams jtrentadams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 07:51:43 PDT 2012

Brian -

Many thanks for going through this exercise of proofing the XSD, it's
been one of those things on our to-do list (but keeps slipping). Much
appreciated.

Other comments inline:

On 6/14/12 11:04 PM, Brian Corrigan wrote:
> Hey Trent & Team -
>
> I'm finding a few more errors as I work with the XSD file itself as
> well as the feedback files being sent over.  I'm uncovering these
> errors using XMLLINT.
>
> My test is:
>
> xmllint --noout --schema rua.xsd ../doc/report_sample_yahoo.xml
>
> I'm working through each error as it comes up.  The ones I've found
> are listed below:
>
> ** XSD File Namespace
> The root element needs to define file the default namespace or else
> the XSD parser can't reference the file itself for custom defined
> types.  Since its also defining a namespace, it needs to be equal to
> the target namespace.
>
> This fixes it:
>   targetNamespace="http://dmarc.org/dmarc-xml/0.1"
>   xmlns="http://dmarc.org/dmarc-xml/0.1">

Good catch... annoying oversight that I'll correct.

> ** Feedback File Namespace
> None of the reports I'm seeing are defining a namespace so one can't
> apply the XSD file.  There's two options, first we could define a root
> element and reference the namespace there (probably not a good idea).
> As an example:
>
> <root xmlns="http://dmarc.org/dmarc-xml/0.1">
> <feedback></feedback>
> </root>
>
> The other option is to require the namespace attribute be defined on
> the feedback attribute.  I prefer this approach.
>
> <provider:feedback xmlns:provider="http://dmarc.org/dmarc-xml/0.1">
> </provider:feedback>

I'm not surprised that the reports aren't defining the namespace. The
early report generators in production (eg. Yahoo's and Gmail's) predate
the XSD (and in some cases the spec itself)... so we're playing a bit of
catch-up here.

Let's noodle this suggestion a bit more (as there may be similar items
that shake out at the Interop that fall into the same category).

> ** XSD File Regex
> The regex isn't working because it spans multiple lines (Happens to me
> all the time when I forget to turn off auto-fill mode in emacs!).  It
> needs to be:
>
> <xs:pattern value="((1?[0-9]?[0-9]|2[0-4][0-9]|25[0-5]).){3}(1?[0-9]?[0-9]|2[0-4][0-9]|25[0-5])|([A-Fa-f0-9]{1,4}:){7}[A-Fa-f0-9]{1,4}"/>

Thanks, that's another annoying oversight that I'll correct. Line breaks
are the bane of my existence.

> ** Namespace (Not technically broken)
>
> Finally, the namespace itself.  It would be cleaner if we could
> declare it as something like "urn:dmarc" instead of
> "http://dmarc.org/dmarc-xml/0.1".  .  If so, we'd have:
>   targetNamespace="urn:dmarc"
>   xmlns="urn:dmarc">
> <provider:feedback xmlns="urn:dmarc">

That's probably a reasonable idea, especially if we find we're extending
it to include additional elements (eg. provider:feedback). That should
be an easy tweak to improve extensibility, but we should chat amongst
the crew to shake loose comments.

Thanks (again) for the review and suggestions.

- Trent