[dmarc-discuss] Google & IPv6 SPF check

MH Michael Hammer (5304) MHammer at ag.com
Tue Jun 12 07:41:50 PDT 2012

<fmartin at linkedin.com<mailto:fmartin at linkedin.com>>
> > Cc: "MH Michael Hammer (5304)"
> > <MHammer at ag.com<mailto:MHammer at ag.com>>,
> > "dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org<mailto:dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org>"
> > <dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org<mailto:dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org>> Subject:
> Re:
> > [dmarc-discuss] Google & IPv6 SPF check
> >
> > Mike, your first route:
> >
> > 1)      Attempt to leave the DKIM signature intact as the list
> handles mail.
> > Ensuring an SPF pass would be a non-starter as far as I can tell.
> >
> > ..could be viable, too.  I'm having a hard time understanding how a
> > modern mailing list would do this, though, as all of them decorate
> > messages with headers, footers, siders, etc. to let you know what
> service you're using.
>
> Which gets back to John Levine's point that mailing lists do what they
> do and there's not a lot of point in trying to remake them.
>
> The simplest thing from a DMARC perspective that a mailing list could
> do would be to rewrite the body From to something in the mailing
list's
> domain.  Then it's their DMARC/DKIM/SPF status that matters and not
the
> sending domain's.
> Don't hold your breath though.
>
> Scott K

I kind of agree with Scott and John but I think the exercise is still a
useful one. I also prefer the list taking responsibility for their
DMARC/DKIM/SPF status. I included trying to preserve DKIM because I
think it's possible although  the other approach makes more sense to me.

Mike