[dmarc-discuss] Google & IPv6 SPF check

Scott Kitterman sklist at kitterman.com
Tue Jun 12 07:27:43 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 02:02:47 PM Franck Martin wrote:
> This list will never succeed to keep DKIM intact because it adds
> [dmarc-discuss] to the subject line. Most lists operate that way.
>
> From: Tim Draegen <tdraegen at agari.com<mailto:tdraegen at agari.com>>
> Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:40
> To: Franck Martin <fmartin at linkedin.com<mailto:fmartin at linkedin.com>>
> Cc: "MH Michael Hammer (5304)" <MHammer at ag.com<mailto:MHammer at ag.com>>,
> "dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org<mailto:dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org>"
> <dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org<mailto:dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org>> Subject: Re:
> [dmarc-discuss] Google & IPv6 SPF check
>
> Mike, your first route:
>
> 1)      Attempt to leave the DKIM signature intact as the list handles mail.
> Ensuring an SPF pass would be a non-starter as far as I can tell.
>
> ..could be viable, too.  I'm having a hard time understanding how a modern
> mailing list would do this, though, as all of them decorate messages with
> headers, footers, siders, etc. to let you know what service you're using.

Which gets back to John Levine's point that mailing lists do what they do and
there's not a lot of point in trying to remake them.

The simplest thing from a DMARC perspective that a mailing list could do would
be to rewrite the body From to something in the mailing list's domain.  Then
it's their DMARC/DKIM/SPF status that matters and not the sending domain's.
Don't hold your breath though.

Scott K