[dmarc-discuss] Google & IPv6 SPF check

Tim Draegen tdraegen at agari.com
Tue Jun 12 06:40:33 PDT 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Franck Martin wrote:
> First, you set up a Author optional mode that will strip the incoming email from any DKIM or DK header, then you set up the from to be of the form:
> "Franck Martin via dmarc-discuss" <dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org> (if you have the full name)
> "fmartin via dmarc-discuss" <dmarc-discuss at dmarc.org> (if you don't have the full name, use he local part only)
>
> And that's it for mailman.

This is the basic model I was thinking of, too.  I was contemplating putting in a DMARC-record checker to see if the transmogrification was necessary, with the configuration option being a button "Send DMARC-compatible email when necessary".  That way list operators could think about DMARC for a couple of minutes, push the button, and go back to operating their lists.

Additional complexity doesn't seem wise at this stage, though.  Easier to have button always "Send DMARC-compatible email".   Bounce handling is still a consideration, too.

Mike, your first route:

1)      Attempt to leave the DKIM signature intact as the list handles mail. Ensuring an SPF pass would be a non-starter as far as I can tell.

..could be viable, too.  I'm having a hard time understanding how a modern mailing list would do this, though, as all of them decorate messages with headers, footers, siders, etc. to let you know what service you're using.

=- Tim