[dmarc-discuss] Google & IPv6 SPF check

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Jun 11 22:08:13 PDT 2012

>making a mailing list run in a DMARC-compatible fashion. Would others in
>the list be interested in seeing this happen?

Definitely not.  Mailing lists do what they do, there are vast numbers
of them around the world, and they are not going to change because the
authentication technique du jour doesn't work with them.

We wasted a great deal of time with "mailing lists have to change so
that SPF works" and even more with "mailing lists have to change so
that DKIM works."  Let's not waste time having the same useless
argument with DMARC.

The most we can ask from lists is to encourage them to put their own
signature on their outgoing mail, so that recipients who are aware of
a list can whitelist it.  Lists will always use their own bounce
addresses and will always break incoming DKIM signatures.

R's,
John