[dmarc-discuss] Include statement in DMARC DNS record

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 1 12:51:25 PDT 2012

> To the best of my knowledge a CNAME with underscore is not allowed

CNAMEs are most definitely valid at any point in the DNS hierarchy.  The
hostname restriction only applies to records that identify hosts, e.g., A,
AAAA, and MX.

> Maybe I am slow here Friday evening, but I cannot see how a CNAME will
> help me "dynamically" changing DMARC record parameters for my customers
> domains.

The customer sets up a CNAME that points at a record you control.  Then
you change your record whenever you want, and they automatically use it.