[arc-discuss] lawsuits, was A bit quiet?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Nov 3 18:05:13 PST 2015

>I hear this threat frequently - not delivering email can result in
>lawsuits. Delivering email can result in lawsuits. Slightly modifying email
>in transit can result in lawsuits.
>
>But does it actually happen in real life (I mean a complaint with merit,
>not from a troll)?

No.  There was Holomaxx which complained that Yahoo and Gmail were
rejecting its allegedly CAN SPAM compliant mail and got thoroughly
slapped down.

Absent specific contracts between sender and receiver, the only duty
that mail receipients have is the privacy requirement from the ECPA
(and maybe HIPAA if they're in the medical field.)  Throwing mail away
is fine, not throwing mail away is fine, too.

R's,
John